As a man, I’m flesh and blood. I can be ignored, I can be destroyed. But as a symbol … as a symbol, I can be incorruptible. I can be everlasting. [ Bruce Wayne, The Batman]
You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain. [ Harvey Dent, The Two Face]
But one thing’s clear, beyond the mask he wears… is his passion. A palpable thing, that’s almost greater then the man himself. And if there’s passion… there’s desire. And desire means there’s a hole in the man. [ Alexander Luthor, on his opinion about Bruce Wayne, The Batman]
Menjadi manusia serba bisa, dengan segala rupa fasilitas serta harta yang siap digunakan, berikut akses tak terbatas ke setiap penjuru dunia, serta manusia yang memegang otoritasnya, itu sosok yang dideskripsikan Bob Kane terhadap Bruce Wayne, Sang Ksatria Kegelapan di kota industri nan suram, Gotham.
Tapi, harusnya banyak yang bertanya, dengan segala yang dia punya itu, kenapa sebegitu obsesifnya dia mengejar kriminal- kriminal gila di kotanya ? Sebegitu kurangkah pekerjaan dan tanggung jawab yang ada di pundaknya, hingga sempat- sempatnya milyarder muda bujangan ini, berkeliaran setiap malam, untuk sekedar patroli ?
Motif sekuat apa yang mendorong Bruce memilih jalan menjadi Batman ? Bahkan Alexander Luthor a.k.a Lex Luthor, milyarder di kota lain, Metropolis, menangkap sisi lubang dari kehidupan Bruce Wayne ini. Lex sendiri adalah pewaris dari kerajaan bisnis Luthor Corp, dari ayahnya, yang tidak suka dengan kehadiran manusia- manusia super di planetnya, dalam hal ini khususnya adalah Superman. Luthor mungkin tidak bisa memahami, karena memang jalan masa kecilnya tidaklah setragis Bruce, dan tragedi itu yang sebenarnya menjadi motif dasar atas pilihan hidup Bruce.
“They told me there was nothing out there, nothing to fear. But the night my parents were murdered I caught a glimpse of something. I’ve looked for it ever since. I went around the world, searched in all the shadows. And there is something out there in the darkness, something terrifying, something that will not stop until it gets revenge”, menyaksikan dengan mata kepala sendiri, dua orang tuanya dibantai oleh kriminal pada lorong gelap, di kotanya sendiri, adalah masa yang sangat menyedihkan bagi seorang anak. Rasa takut, bingung, sedih, dan dendam itu, yang mendorong Bruce muda untuk mengembara, mencari segala keahlian yang dia mau, dari segi intelektualitas sampai fisik, dari sisi keluhuran tradisi kuno, hingga penguasaan teknologi paling mutakhir. Selalu ada motif besar, dibalik sebuah aksi besar, dan dendam itu yang menjadi pemicu awalnya, yang kemudian diikuti oleh aksi konkretnya, untuk menyaru menjadi manusia kelelawar.
Semua manusia mungkin pernah mengalami masa pencarian jati diri yang tidak mengenakkan, dan itulah yang dialami juga oleh tokoh rekaan macam Bruce Wayne ini. Namun, hasil yang didapatkan memang sungguh mencengangkan, bagi para konstruktor tokoh Batman sendiri, berikut adalah rangkuman dari level kebisaan Batman, yang notabene adalah manusia biasa saja :
- Indomitable Will: He has no known superhuman powers, but he does have an extreme, almost superhuman “force of will”.
- Intimidation: It is widely known that Batman has the ability to instill fear in others, even the people that know him best are intimidated by him. Even those who aren’t afraid of the likes of Superman fear Batman.
- Expert Inquisitor: Batman is adept in the use of interrogation techniques, employing anything from law enforcement methods to outright torture.
- Peak Human Conditioning: Through intense training, specialized diet, and biofeedback treatments, The Batman represented the pinnacle of human physical prowess. His physical attributes exceeded that of any Olympic level athlete that has ever competed. His strength, speed, stamina, agility, reflexes, and coordination are at the peak of human potential. Batman began his physical and mental conditioning when he was 11 and then intense physical training and weight lifting at age 12. He had mastered full body control by the time he was 18. Wayne abstains entirely from drinking alcohol, though he presented Bruce Wayne, his alter ego, as a borderline alcoholic (he created this illusion by drinking ginger ale and pretending it was champagne). Batman’s refusal to drink was directly linked to keeping his body in its absolute best. Bruce Wayne, since the age of 15, has created a strict diet to enable his body to develop and operate at its most proficient, along with biofeedback treatments (using portable/non portable machines to stimulate muscles to contraction). Batman has performed amazing physical feats due to his superior physique. He engaged in an intensive regular regimen of rigorous exercise (including aerobics, weight lifting, gymnastics, and simulated combat) to keep himself in peak condition, and has often defeated opponents whose size, strength, or other powers greatly exceeded his own. He has spent his entire life in pursuit of physical perfection and has attained it through constant intensive training and determination.
- Peak Human Strength: He can break steel chains and cuffs, support a ceiling that weighed over 1000lbs, bent steel metal bars with his hands. Batman even punched a SWAT officer through a brick wall. He utilizes his strength/power so effectively, that a near-meta such as Deathstroke comments that Batman “hits harder than most beings with superhuman strength.” During his exercise regimes, Batman regularly bench-presses at least 1000Ibs.
- Peak Human Reflexes: Batman’s reflexes are practically superhuman.
- Peak Human Speed: He can run at speeds comparable to the finest competing athletes.
- Peak Human Endurance: His endurance was comparable to that of the finest Olympic Decathlon participant. His lung capacity is so great that he can hold his breath underwater for 3 minutes and 15 seconds.
- Peak Human Agility: His agility is greater than that of a Chinese acrobat and an Olympic gold medalist gymnast. His main phase of movement is Parkour which he learned in France and uses it to scale the cities rooftops in an acrobatic manner.
- Expert Acrobat: Proficient in gymnastics and acrobatics, to the peak of human ability.
- Martial Arts Expert: Batman is one of the finest human combatants Earth has ever known. He trained in the US for various martial arts for 3 years. He has mastered 127 styles of martial arts including Muay Thai, Escrima, Krav Maga, Capoeira, Savate, Yawyan, Taekwondo, Judo, Jujitsu, Ninjitsu, Kendo, Fencing, Kenjutsu, Kali, Bojutsu, Francombat, Boxing, Kickboxing, Hapkido, Wing Chun, Parkour, Shorin Ryu, Silat, Chin Na, Hokuto Shinken, Kyudo, Aikido, Varma Ati, Jeet Kune Do, Shaolin, Ba Gua, Hung Gar, Tai Chi, Kung Fu, Kenpo, and Karate. His primary form of combat is an idiosyncratic admixture of Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Muay Thai, Karate, Boxing, Jujitsu, and Ninjitsu.
- Weapon Master: Through his martial arts training, he has become an expert on virtually all types of weaponry. He is an exceptional swordsman as evident in his fight with Ra’s al Ghul, his proficiency in jui jitsu can proclaim his swordsmanship skill. Proficient with most melee weapons due to his mastery of Okinawan Kobudo. He was trained and became proficient in all arms. He soon learned expanded melee weapon techniques and he has learned expanded weapon/device sciences. He still practices during his combat sessions to keep his skills intact, though he prefers unarmed combat.
- Master of Stealth: His Ninjutsu training has made him a master at stealth capable of breaching high security facilities with ease and without being detected.
- Expert Marksman: Due in part to his training in Ninjitsu, Batman almost never misses his targets, 9/10 times he’s succesful.
- Genius Intellect: (IQ 192) Batman is a brilliant, virtually peerless, detective, strategist, scientist, tactician, and commander; he is widely regarded as one of the keenest analytical minds on the planet. Given his lack of superpowers, he often uses cunning and planning to outwit his foes, rather than simply “out-fighting” them.
- Polymath: He has studied Biology, Technology, Mathematics, Physics, Mythology, Geography, & History. Gained degrees in Criminal Science, Forensics, Computer Science, Chemistry and Engineering by the time he was 21. He has mastered Diverse Environmental Training, Security Systems, and illusion/sleight of hand by the time he was 23. He gained even more degrees in Biology, Physics, Advanced Chemistry, and Technology by the time he was 25. He has learned Forensic, Medical Sciences, Expanded Computer and Engineering Sciences, and Expanded Device Pool use of personal powered armor and system, database creation on underworld crime bosses, rogue’s gallery foes and other supers; improved material sciences for body armor and micro-machinery by the time he was 26. Has also learned Advanced New Development in Forensic and Medical Sciences.
- Master Detective: He is widely considered as the World’s Greatest Detective, capable of observation, forensic investigation, and inductive and deductive reasoning of the highest caliber. Human intuition is an unlearnable trait and one of Batman’s most effective tools. Given any mystery, he can arrive at any conclusions with a fraction of the data.
- Multi-Lingual: He is able to speak Spanish, French, Latin, German, Japanese, English, Russian, Cantonese, Mandarin, and possibly more.
- Master Strategist: He commonly utilizes cunning tactics to outwit his foes. He is an excellent leader and at times commands the Justice League and the Outsiders.
- Escapologist: He has been described as second only to Mister Miracle as an escape artist. He has been seen escaping from a posey straitjacket in less than 52 seconds, and remarked afterwards that the time was way too slow for him.
- Crack Pilot: Has been seen flying the various versions of the Batplanes with ease and flying a helicopter.
- Expert Tracker: Trained in hunting techniques by African Bushmen (the Ghost Tribes of the Ten-eyed Brotherhood, among others).
- Master of Disguise: Has mastered the art of disguise by the time he was 23. Has further learned Expanded Disguise techniques by the time he was 26. Batman has many aliases he uses to infiltrate the underworld or just to go undercover in public situations. His current aliases are: Matches Malone, Thomas Quigley, Ragman, Detective Hawke, Sir Hemingford Grey,Lester Krutz, Frank Dixon, Gordon Selkirk, and Mr. Fledermaus.
- Expert Mechanic and Driver: Batman is proficient at combat driving. He has also pioneered improved vehicle designs. In addition, he has been trained and is proficient in basic vehicular operations.
- Peak Human Strength: Batman engages in an intensive exercise regimen, and because of this his strength, like all other physical attributes are at the peak of human perfection. He can press/lift close to 1000 lbs, and has demonstrated enough strength in some cases to rip steel bars from their moorings, and snap high-strength handcuffs with ease.
Yup, too good to be true ? Semacam kemampuan anggota Green Berets dan Intelijen analis kan ya ? Tapi, memang ini masih menjadi semacam visualisasi mengenai manusia biasa dengan kemampuan top level yang bisa dicapai. Dan, jangan lupa, Batman sering ( bahkan selalu) menggunakan kekerasan dalam setiap aksinya, karena memang dia hanyalah manusia biasa, bukan begitu ?
Dalam kondisi ketidakpastian hukum di sebuah wilayah, inisiatif warga seringkali muncul, seperti halnya kasus di New York di tahun 80-an yang jadi pusat kejahatan. Broken Windows, bahwa sebuah kejahatan kecil, adalah pemicu dari rantai kejahatan lain di belakangnya, disebabkan oleh adanya sikap impunitas ( pembiaran) oleh aparat pemerintah ( Polisi), serta sikap acuh tidak toleran, dari warga sekitarnya. Dan, tahukah Anda, bahwa nama lain New York adalah Gotham ?
Tokoh rekaan macam Batman ini, semacam Vigilante, yaitu warga sipil yang berinisiatif untuk turut mengendalikan keamanan, menjaga stabilitas, selalu ada di setiap zaman, dan wilayah, di Bumi. Bahkan mungkin di sekitar Anda. Bentuknya bisa individu, atau semacam ormas, yang bukan polisi, tapi bertindak seperti polisi, bahkan tentara !
Nah, pertanyaannya adalah, apa motifnya ? Bukan begitu ? Kalau Bruce bertindak dengan sumber daya sendiri, berikut motif dendam atas kematian kedua orang tuanya, lalu apa sebenarnya motif para “Pahlawan Sipil” yang seringkali bertindak atas nama kebenaran itu ? Sumber daya untuk hidup mereka, siapa yang menyuplai ?
Kan ? 🙂